Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Can US citizen work in Malaysia permanently


Can US citizen work in Malaysia permanently?
I was born in Malaysia, and when I was 19 I immigrated to USA. Now I am a US citizen. I would like to move back to Malaysia and work there permanently while still carrying US citizenship. -What do I need to do in terms of paperwork? Do I need to pay taxes for US and Msia? -What do I need to do if I would like to become Msia citizen again? Please help me out!... Thank you.
Immigration - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i don't see why not
2 :
You can try to regain your Malaysian Citizenship with birth certificate. However, Malaysia government doesn't allow dual citizenship. Therefore, you have to denounce US Citizenship when you regain your Malaysian citizenship. Regarding US Tax, you still have to file it as long as your US Citizen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_nationality_law http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4wxhk3_32gvcbk8fq http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/services/visitors/entry-requirements-into-malaysia
3 :
You could secure a Permanent Resident status in Malaysia relatively easy, especially if you could land onto a job with a work permit first. From there you could work here permanently as you like. You will need to pay Msia tax for sure, and about 3-4 years back US has decided to tax on US citizen even that they work overseas. However, you will be paying significantly lesser US tax if you stay away from the country for more than 11 months (plus minus) Hope it helps.